Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Week 5 reading reaction

This weeks reading was pretty chill and clear, but besides that it was also really interesting and helpful and was able to find myself in many points of the readings so I was happy to read all about that.

- "They Say, I say" Chapter 9:
I liked this reading a lot and could really find myself into it. I feel like "academic writing" can be pretty struggling sometimes especially as an international student which doesn't have a great vocabulary compared to native americans. It is much easier for me to kind of write like I talk but obviously I do know that I also need to include "more difficult" words. It was nice to read that actually a combination of both is how it should be and that this is also a part of what makes a good writer. It was also very helpful for me to read the examples of other people who used the combination and this gave me a much better perspective on how to use the combination and how it should look like. After reading this I will really try to implement the best of both worlds and hopefully I'll get much better at it after each time!

- "They Say, I say" Chapter 11:
This reading was also really nice and also with this I could really find myself in it because as a full-time student, and especial at antioch, you deal with a lot of class discussions and I also happen to really like them and am a very active participater during class discussions. Now while I was reading this article I was really figuring that there is so much more that I can improve and I really was not aware of that even with just a simple class discussion there are basically rules you have to follow in order to make it a good interesting class discussion.

 I really liked it when they stated that the point of a class discussion is that our own ideas become more cogent and powerful, the more responsive we are to others, I really didn't look at it that way so that was interesting to read about. Also the part of linking to what someone has said, especially in a clear way, was helpful for me cause even though I do sometimes link to what other people had said, I feel like I could've made it a lot more clear. Then last but not least, highlighting my key point is also something that I have to work on many times. I tend to be kind of unclear sometimes and that I'm not really getting to my key point, so it was great reading the example phrases in order to improve that.

No comments:

Post a Comment