Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Week 6 Readings Response

So this weeks reading was a lot more than usual, but they all were different interesting topics so I really liked that! Let me tell you what I thought of each reading:

- They Say, I Say Chapter 7
The main two questions what they are focusing on here is: So what? and Who Cares?. In the beginning I seriously didn't really understand what is was exactly about but how more I read how more sense it started making to me. This was a pretty interesting article because those questions are actually really great as soon as you write something, it really makes you getting in much more detail than you normally would and I feel like if you seriously follow this then you would do a great thing by leaving the readers without any hanging, confusing questions. I also liked the part where they said that even though the readers already know why it matters, that you should still keep on asking those questions to yourself until you reach that point where you can't continue anymore. I never thought of any of this and I think those questions are great to start implementing when writing anything.

- Everything's An Argument Chapter 16
This was a nice article to read about because obviously as a full-time student, I will have to deal a lot with Academic Arguments, and honestly, it's not really my favorite thing. I definitely agree with them when they talk about that the style of writing an academic argument is very stiff and there is a loooot of formality so the style of writing is not very 'alive'. Still, it was very helpful to read all the tips they are giving on how to develop an academic argument. Also, it reminded me again about how careful research is so important when writing an academic argument and really is the essence of it. So it was nice to kind of get a refreshment on this topic.

- Shitty First Drafts
What I liked about this article is that it was a personal article with mainly personal, but interesting advice. I liked the style of writing and it was not too hard for me to read and understand it. This is also something that I haven't really thought about too much because honestly I am really not a 'draft' person and don't do it too often. After reading this it did make me realize that it is something very important that you have to do and that out of so many simple, 'stupid' drafts, the best things come out of it. I think it is also something that you don't have to think about too much, and just let it go. I really want to try to start doing this as well but it might take me some time.

- Understanding Rhetoric Page 148 - 159 
Ugh I was so happy to not having to deal with this style of writing for a little while, but there I found myself again reading it like 3 times over again, but I got there. :) This was an article also talking about arguments, and actually I love reading about arguments because I love them haha. I liked the sentence where they made up a definition that said: ''A statement is arguable if it represents a position with which a reasonable person could disagree''. It is important to remember that arguments are great, but it really depends on how you deal with the argument. So like when they are talking about that an argument needs grounds or evidence from which we develop a position. This was also a good refreshment for me because I realized that there are so many people having arguments, including myself, while many times there is not even evidence and it is just opinion based. Nothing wrong with that, but if you want to make a great argument obviously evidence is the key. So it was nice reading about all this and keeping in the essence of an argument in mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment