Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Reading Reaction week 4

I actually felt pretty relieved with this weeks readings, because I thought it was pretty easy to read and didn't feel like it was too much or felt kind of bothered by reading it. I will give you my best reaction to both readings.

- Everything's an argument ''Rhetorical Analysis''
It was pretty interesting to get more knowledge about what a rhetorical analysis is and I've actually realized that I've read many rhetorical analysis' and that I wasn't aware of the fact that what I was reading was something that what was so called a rhetorical analysis. I also think it was interesting to read that there are actually many factors that you have to think of when you are writing an rhetorical analysis and that basically you are kind of making a fool of yourself when you write a rhetorical analysis without taking all of those important factors into account. So far as I can remember, I've never written a rhetorical analysis so far. But as soon as I do I will for sure look back to the material that I've read today because it surely has very good tips included.

- Everything's an argument: ''Finding Evidence'' 
So this reading basically for me was much common sense. In our life there are many times that we will have or are wanting to proof or persuade things and in order to do that we need to get the best evidence we can. Then again, you can't always use the same sort of evidence for all kinds of things and like it said in the readings, the evidence you collect for let's say a school project, is not the same kind of evidence that you would need to collect for a psychological research. What I do think, is that it also has to do with a persons abilities to make sure that they are able to collect correct evidence. What I mean by saying this, is that a person basically has to be good with many things like the internet, a computer, a library, researching things in a book, etcetera. Because if for instance if you have no idea how to work with a computer or the internet, then that will already limit you in collecting a good amount of evidence then someone who knows exactly how all of that works.

Personally, I also believe that people have to be more aware of how important evidence is and that they should dive more into all of the available options there are to collect evidence and trust me it can save you from many situations. Just to give you a quick personal example: One time I got a fine that wasn't fair at all. So I called the company and explained them my situation and the representative on the phone said that everything was ok and that she took care of it. Later I get another letter saying that I hadn't paid my fine and they increased the amount. I called them again and said that I spoke to a representative before and that she took care of it. They asked me who I spoke to and unfortunately I did not write down her name and so had no evidence of ever talking to someone. This has been a great lesson for me and would like to give this advice to the rest as well in case you didn't know this yet. But so yeah, if I had just simply written down that name than I did have evidence that I did speak to someone and maybe the situation would've turned out much better.

1 comment:

  1. There were many good tips and examples in this chapter, and it will definitively be helpful throughout the course. There are a lot to think about while writing a rhetorical analysis, but I also think it will be easier and not so much to think about the more you work with it.

    You are definitively right, we can’t use the same evidence for everything and we also have to consider the audience when we use our evidence. A person’s ability is important to collect evidence, but I would say that you don’t have to be a scientist to find good information or evidence. Evidence is very important, without evidence it will be hard to persuade someone, if not even impossible. I did the same mistake ones, and now I always put down the name of the person I’m talking to.

    ReplyDelete